Vegan Chocolate Tarts
Another tart to delight your eyes and your taste-buds! I am constantly amazed that I can create these dishes without dairy! I was born and bred with milk, eggs and butter as vital staple ingredients for any recipe. However, this is not the case! I love veganizing recipes, it challenges me to be more creative with baking! I hope this inspires you!
Pastry – Ingredients
● 180g plain flour
● 1/4 tsp salt
● 10g caster sugar
● 110g organic extra-virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
● 40 ml cold water
● Dairy-free butter to grease tart tins
Step 1: Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/375F/gas mark 5.
Step 2: Mix flour, sugar and salt
- Add coconut oil and rub with fingertips into mix until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add water as needed to form ball (Use fork and work pastry as little as possible)
Step 3: Flour surface and dust pastry with flour
- Roll out pastry 2-3mm thick
- Lightly grease tart tins
- Fit pastry to tart tins and trim. Prick bottom of pastry with fork
- Allow to cool
Step 4: Place tinfoil / baking paper and baking beans in tart tins to hold shape
- Blind bake for 10 minutes
Step 5: Make lemon curd when tarts are blind baking – see below
Step 6: Remove tarts from oven
- Remove baking beans
- Bake for further 5 mins
- Remove and allow to cool
Chocolate Ganache – Ingredients
● 100g dark chocolate (I used 76%)
● 80ml hazelnut milk
● 3tbsp Maple Syrup
● Topping choices: dedicated coconut, pistachios, toasted hazelnuts, raspberries (fresh or freeze dried)
Step 1: Break up the chocolate and melt in a baine marie.
Step 2: Add hazelnut milk. Melt. Then add maple syrup.
Step 3: Get toppings ready: chopped pistachios, chopped toasted hazelnuts, raspberries (fresh or freeze dried) and dedicated coconut. Add to half of the tarts.
Step 4: Allow to cool.
This recipe for pastry is so versatile once you crack it it can be used for so many recipes! The chocolate ganache is also a good one for your repertoire. This can be adapted and added to many dessert dishes. I'll show you another next time!
Ellen - The Vegan Tart
Ellen was a finalist and runner up in the Innocent Ireland Dairy Free Cook Off. Follow her recipes on Instagram @TheVeganTart. And make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to receive her weekly recipes.